On Saturday the 19th of January, a breakout session was held exploring ideas of focus for womens’ empowerment. This session was facilitated by Esmat Jeraj and Mariam Hassam and was attended by female representatives from mostly Stanmore Jamaat. Various topics were explored centred around women and the challenges they face, the different areas where they can experience growth and the solutions for these challenges and to determine the next steps going forward. The aim of these discussions is to address needs related to women and to discuss how to engage better participation from women in the community.
Some of the areas of discussion included wellbeing, support for women, cultural restraints and political and social issues faced by women in our communities.
Below are some of the key points extracted from this discussion:
• We need to separate culture from religion
• Provide equal opportunities for both genders
• Use the mimbar/majalis to define the rights and roles of women in Islam
• Create networks for skills sharing and building capacity
• Equal participation and leadership within our communities
• Facilitate for women to have access to Alims
• Investing in Alimahs
• Address issues around domestic abuse
• Breaking the barriers within which are preventing women from accomplishing to their potential
• Creating support networks for single/divorced/widowed women
The work will continue and will then be carried forward from the outcomes of these discussions.