Job Title: Minister of Religion (Alim)
Salary: £24, 000.00 per annum inclusive of housing and utilities (40-hour week)
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Employer: Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Community of Birmingham (KSIMC of Birmingham)
Location: Birmingham, UK
Start date: 2nd May 2016
Originally founded in 1972 to serve the local Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim community who had emigrated from East Africa (the “Khoja Shia Ithna-Asheri” community), KSIMC is a vibrant organisation based in Birmingham, UK. Through our ever-growing relationships with our neighbours and social, community and political organisations, we are now an integral part of the local community, conveying Islam as a faith that is not only peaceful, but also positively cohesive and beneficial to the wider British society.
In catering for the religious needs of the local community with daily prayers and weekly supplications and lectures, our centre also hosts regular events to celebrate and commemorate events pursuant to the Islamic calendar including the holy months of Ramadhan, Muharram, Safar and the festivities of Eid. Additional facilities for community members include:
- Muhammadi Nursery, a daily childcare for under 5’s;
- KSIMC Senior Citizens’ Association which holds weekly activities, including health talks and excursions both locally and overseas;
- Muhammadi Madrasah, a weekend school providing Islamic education for children aged between 5-18, with GCSE and A-level qualifications in Islamic Studies as part of its curriculum;
- Masumeen Sports Club, who meet weekly and also partake in national and international tournaments.
In pursuing our objectives we seek a full-time Minister of Religion (i.e. Alim) fluent in English, Arabic and Farsi to lead the community in the religious rites; rituals; prayers; education and counselling of the community. The post will attract a gross salary of £24, 000.00 per annum on the premise of a 40-hour working week. The role will also attract housing and utilities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leading the congregation in performing the rites and rituals of the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim faith
- Leading marriages, funerals and other special services pursuant to the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim faith;
- Preaching to the congregation the essentials of the creed of the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim faith through regular lectures and seminars;
- Provision of religious education pertaining to the creed of the Shia Itha-Asheri Muslim faith for youth and adults;
- Attending religious gatherings on behalf of the community;
- Representing the organisation as its religious representative with external bodies;
- Participating in inter-faith meetings held by the community;
- Offering counselling and welfare support to members of the community;
- Recruiting, training and co-ordinating the religious work of volunteers and lay preachers at the centre;
- Enrolling in and attending appropriate courses which the organisation considers necessary for the improvement of the effectiveness of the Minister of Religion.
- To deliver the above services in English as well as in Arabic and Farsi as necessary;
- Engagement in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
The applicant must possess a traditional Islamic education at graduate level at a recognised (Hawza) and be qualified as an Islamic Alim (i.e. Minister of Religion) with expertise in the Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim faith. Applicants must also possess the following skills:
- Fluent in English (Level B2 of the Common European Framework Reference with an approved Home Office test provider), Arabic and Farsi
- Fully IT conversant including Microsoft Office
- Have good administrative and organisational skills
- Work logically and systematically
- Be able to work under pressure and on your own initiative
- Ability to prioritise and to cope with multiple tasks
- Have excellent leadership skills
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Have served as a Minister of Religion in a Shia community for at least 2 years
HOW TO APPLY
- All applicants must confirm their national identity by sending a copy of the bio data page of their current national passport. If the applicant is currently in the UK as a non-UK national, they must in addition to the bio data page of their current national passport, also provide evidence of their current UK immigration status either by providing a copy of the visa in their passport or a copy of both sides of their current UK Biometric Residence Permit.
- Please email your CV and letter of application toBrother Rizvan Ramjee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CLOSING DATE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS is 31st March 2016.
EMPLOYER : KSIMC of Birmingham, 17 Clifton Road, Birmingham, B12 8SX